Resonant sayings to inspire happiness and mindfulness are paired with exquisite artwork by Caldecott Honor Book and New York Times Bestselling author/artist Jon J Muth.
This beautiful, small-format gift book contains twelve inspiring and affirmational sayings that take on deeper meaning when paired with Jon J Muth's profoundly beautiful Zen books, many featuring the beloved panda bear, Stillwater.
This is a book to cherish. Every saying inspires delight, and each picture is worth a thousand words!
Nourishment for the spirit!
About the Author
Jon J Muth, renowned in the world of graphic novels, won an Eisner Award for his paintings in the graphic novel, The Mystery Play by Grant Morrison. He’s partnered with Neil Gaiman on The Sandman: The Wake, Walter and Louise Simonson on Havoc & Wolverine: Meltdown, and J. M. DeMatteis on Moonshadow and Silver Surfer.
His enchanting picture books include his Caldecott Honor Book Zen Shorts and four companion books featuring Stillwater the Panda. His book The Three Questions, based on a short story by Tolstoy, was called "quietly life-changing" by the New York Times Book Review. And the Horn Book called Jon's Stone Soup "delicious and satisfying." His exquisitely beautiful books have been translated into more than 15 languages and are cherished by readers of all ages. Jon lives in New York State with his wife and their four children.
Distinctions and Praise forZen Shorts:
A Caldecott Honor Book
\Book Sense Book of the Year Award
\NAIBA Book of the Year Award
A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year
\New York Public Library's 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing
* "Both an accessible, strikingly illustrated story and a thought-provoking meditation." --Booklist, starred review
* "Every word and image comes to make as perfect a picture book as can be." -- Kirkus Reviews, starred review
"Appealing enough for a group read-aloud, but also begging to be shared and discussed by caregiver and child,Zen Shortsis a notable achievement." --School Library Journal
Distinctions and Praise forZen Ties:
NAIBA Book of the Year Award
Children's and Teen Choice Book Award Winner
\Cybils Picture Book Award Finalist
A Washington Post Best Children's Book of the Year
* "Muth's brush is as sure as ever; Stillwater's big, blunt paws and hunched-over listening posture are irresistible, and Miss Whitaker's delicate face and snow-white hair beautifully counterpoint the vignettes of youthful play." --Publisher's Weekly, starred review
"The pleasure, as always, is with Muth's irresistible storytelling, both visual and textual...The story's theme of intergenerational kindness is tender, and the text is infused with bits of haiku, wordplay and small lessons that charmingly avoid didacticism. A welcome return." --Kirkus Reviews
"A rich and wonderful offering." --School Library Journal
Distinctions and Praise forZen Ghosts:
A Notable Social Studies Trade Book for Young People
* "Muth's art remains strikingly beautiful, and Stillwater is perennially charming." --Publishers Weekly, starred review
"A beautiful, contemplative offering." --Booklist
"Breathtaking... The book functions on many levels... and succeeds spectacularly on all of them." -- School Library Journal
Distinctions and Praise forZen Socks:
An Amazon Editors' Children's Book of the Year
* "Strikingly beautiful... perennially charming." --Publishers Weekly, starred review
"Lessons of patience, compassion, and sharing, delivered gently." --Kirkus Reviews
Distinctions and Praise forHi, Koo!:
New York Public Library's 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing
A Parents' Choice Award Gold Medal Winner
A Cybils Award Poetry Finalist
* "It's a joyous addendum to the Stillwater books, and it overflows with the same characteristic tenderness." -- Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Yields huge effect; in a word, magical." -- Kirkus Reviews, starred review
"Even readers who are not typically interested in poetry will be captivated by Muth's artistry in both words and images." -- School Library Journal