Native Musicians in the Groove (Native Trailblazers) (Paperback)
From the melodic sounds of a classical guitar or the wailing of an electric guitar to country music and punk rock, these musicians deliver. They offer a wide selection of musical styles as diverse as the music industry itself. Read about the lives of these outstanding performers who represent the fresh new sounds from Native American today. The music of these talented artists transcends borders and cultures to speak directly to the hearts and minds of listeners. But it was not always easy for them to reach their goals.
- Shane Yellowbird (Cree) - Canadian country recording artist
- Mary Youngblood (Seminole/Aleut) - Flutist
- Blackfire (Navajo) - Punk rock and traditional Dine' (Navajo) music
- Jamie Coon (Creek/Seminole) - Singer/songwriter
- Gabriel Ayala (Pascua Yaqui) - Classical guitarist
- Mato Nanji (Nakota Sioux) - Lead guitarist and singer for Indigenous
- Four Rivers Drum - Vibrant drum group
- Leela Gilday (Dene) - Folk artist
- Michael Bucher (Cherokee) - Composer and vocalist
- Crystal Shawanda (Ojibwe) - Canadian vocalist/songwriter
The Native Trailblazer Series shines a spotlight on the contributions of Native Americans and First Nation Canadians who provide inspirational role models for young readers.High interest text and easy to read format is ideal for teen and adult literacy programs.